Originally known as Tuftstown, Pinehurst was established in 1895 when Boston philanthropist James Tufts purchased
5,800 acres of timberland in central North Carolina. Tufts was intrigued by the area's mild climate and wanted to create
a winter retreat and health resort here. He commissioned Frederick Law Olmsted, designer of New York's Central Park,
to lay out the village streets.
In 1896, the Holly Inn opened, and the area had 20 cottages, a general store and a dairy. Some hotel guests introduced
the game of golf -without benefit of a course - and in 1898, a rudimentary nine-hole course was constructed. By 1901,
Tufts had opened what is now the Pinehurst Resort complete with riding, hunting, polo, lawn bowling, bicycling, tennis
and archery. The same year, Tufts hired Donald Ross, the "father of modem golf architecture," to oversee golf
operations. The acclaimed Pinehurst No. 2 course, one of many he designed or redesigned, is ranked as one of the best
in the world. By 1903, Pinehurst was becoming a major national golf center.
In another colorful chapter of Pinehurst history, Annie Oakley, sharpshooter and star of the Buffalo Bill Wild West Show,
arrived in 1916. She stayed for four years to give shooting exhibitions and instruction at the Pinehurst Gun Club.
Today, Pinehurst is a delightful community of about 6,700. Together with its neighboring towns Southern Pines and
Aberdeen, it makes up thesandhills of Moore County, an area steeped in golf tradition, Southern hospitality and historic